Friday, January 16, 2009

FAQ - Building Code Issues

Will I need a building permit for my building?
In most cases yes but not always. For example, in some locations no permit is required to erect agricultural buildings. However, we have no way to know for sure, and you will have to answer that question yourself. You should definitely check with your local building inspector before buying a building from us or anyone else.

After I enter my county, your system tells me my building code requirements. Can I assume these are correct?
No, those represent the minimum specifications we will use to design a buildng for your county. You have to tell us what your requirements are, and the only way you can be sure is to check with your local building inspector. The specifications that our system shows you are the minimum requirements as published by Metal Building Manufacturer's Association (MBMA).

When I call my building inspector, what should I tell him or ask him?
One approach is to price a building and print a copy of the purchase contract from the VIEW ORDER screen (there is a link there for a "printable version"). Fax or take the entire contract to the inspector. Unless the inspector requires permit drawings, this contract should give the inspector the information he needs to determine if your building will meet code.

What if I need permit drawings?
We cannot release complete plans until you actually commit to buy the building; however, once you do commit you can choose the "hold for approval" option. When we have received your deposit (immediately if you pay by credit card), we will prepare and send one or more sets of "permit drawings" that you can submit to your inspector, and we will not begin fabrication until you get the necessary permits. See the sections on Ordering a Building and Order Processing for more information.

What if my inspector requires that my drawings be stamped or sealed by an engineer? What if they require design calculations?
We have engineers on retainer who are registered in every state. You will be able to request that your drawings be stamped or that we also provide design calculations (sometimes called "calcs") which some inspectors will require.

No comments: